Tuesday, 29 January 2013

Gin Rummy - Frustrating fun!

Playing Gin Rummy is something I am really good at...

I may play only with my android phone at a beginner's setting :P
But I am good. I do manage to make pairs and runs almost every time...

Gin rummy is more fun for me because it satisfies my craving to sort and organize and catalogue and make mental notes of which card is placed where, which player has which cards.. and so on.

Usually I do the same type of mental organizing for non-Rummy things at home or at work...

Like for example,
List 1 - Which grocery products I have.
List 2 - Which products I need to acquire and are missing at home.
List 3 - Which deadwood products I need to throw out due to expiry date or family's choosy palate issues.
List 4 - Which product is available with which Grocery shop and so on...

So with the above lists, even if list 1 and 3 and smaller than the others, I still have it logged in my mental list and it is in the 'to do' list.  
So I tend to freak out less.
See Mom !! That's why my mess is more organized than ordinary mess.
Even if you find me doing nothing and staring out in zero space, I am in fact, hard at work running SQLs in my brain.
What you see on my blank face is the 'in progress' cursor progressing slowly forward.
So. I know exactly when I will not have any flour for chapatis or rice for dinner, even if the date is in the past.
It is called "Organized Chaos".

Making lists is a lot more convenient than standing in the mall and wondering what you need and then reading each product in every aisle...
(Which I still do anyway. But as the time taken to shop is inversely proportional to the intensity of Husband's impatience and reluctance to come shopping, so the list.)

Anyway.

Yesterday I was busy sorting Aarav's clothes. I mentally grouped them into the categories.

USE myDataBrain;

SELECT Clothes,SUM(quantity) AS "Total Count" FROM Cupboard
WHERE Body_part_covered IN ('Head','Neck',Top_half','Bottom_half','Feet','Others')
GROUP BY Body_part_covered
SORT BY Size, date_of_buying

First sorted on which fabric covers what body part with a starting from head to toe. Then sorted into size. Then into new/old.

And after the actual sort was done, they are kept in the cupboard. Cross referenced and everything.
It is time consuming and not as easy an running an actual SQL query... but the end product is incredibly satisfying!!

All was fine till I reached the category Feet.

Flashback:
2012 last six months.
When the CI surgery decision was taken, we knew that Aarav was not allowed to catch a cold. So we got him lots of warm clothes.
Even during the summer months we made him wear socks and sweaters.

In the past one year, the taller Aarav grew, more the clothes we got him.
Now the funny part of too much excel-sheet-type-autofilter-organizing and then running sqls on your brain is that you just get a output list without actually having to go through the clothes.

So according to :

SELECT Clothes,COUNT(quantity) AS "Total Count" FROM Cupboard
WHERE Body_part_covered IN ('Head','Neck',Top_half','Bottom_half','Feet','Others')
AND date_of_buying < '02/04/2012'
GROUP BY Body_part_covered
SORT BY Size, date_of_buying
Clothes
Count to buy
Woolen Caps
2
Shirts
4
Sweaters
2
Blah blah
654
More blah
987


And with all the other thinking and planning and worrying to do, I dint check the clothes again, just went and bought the needed stuff.

So now I had bought a lot of clothes for Aarav in all categories and replaced a lot of the old ones.
And after buying, I realized that his old socks still fit him well.
So now Aarav has around at least a dozen pairs of socks alone.
Flashforward to last night:
All my system was fine till I reached the category Feet.

Playing Gin Rummy is something I am really good at...
I am good a bit obsessive about tiny stupid things like the perfect pairs, the perfect hand, the perfect score....
I keep on playing till I manage to make pairs and runs. I keep going on till I get a perfect game ...

Gin rummy is more fun for me because it satisfies my craving to sort and organize and catalogue and make mental notes of which card is placed where, which player has which cards.. and so on. And it is extremely frustrating when I cannot get the perfect pair and runs and groups..

So now with Aarav's socks I am frustrated.

Can you guess why??



I cant use any of them!!!
And I have no idea where the other matching ones are!!!

Stupid Deadwoods.
Stupid-Gin-Rummy-Excel-SQL-affected-Brain.
-----------------------------------------

No comments:

Post a Comment



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...