Saturday, 27 October 2012

Why cant I hear????

Kaustubh was out of town for the weekend and so for the first time, Aarav and I were all alone for the entire weekend!!
Usually getting Aarav all to myself is a treat! But today, we had something else in store for us..

We went to therapy in the morning and Aarav did all his lings well. All new and existing sounds were as expected!!
So we were hearing and everything as usual...

The therapy ended around 1230 in the morning. Aarav had a heavy breakfast but to go home now and cook lunch would have been too late for him.
So I had packed up his bag and then dropped him at daycare so that he would immediately have lunch and get some sleep.

In the meanwhile, I went back home and cleaned the house to get it ready for Diwali.
After a rather tiring cleaning session, I went at 6:00 pm to pick up Aarav from the daycare.

He had finished his evening snack and so I decided to take him to the park.

As if he read my mind, the second he saw me coming, Aarav was literally jumping and pointing at the Park gate.
The daycare and the park share a common wall. Aarav now knows that if I am walking (no bike) to pick him up, it usually means that he will get to go play in the park.

I took his big daycare bag. water bottle and snacks and then picked him up and started walking towards the park.

And then I heard.
The Neptune was beeping.



All right. The magnet must have fallen off.

Beep beep.

I checked the magnet.
It was still on.

Beep beep.

If the battery is depleted, it must be an orange light??
I started walking faster. Dragging Aarav away from the playground.
The battery I put in in the morning was full. It should not have depleted so soon.

Beep beep.

Maybe I'll change the battery just in case.
So I took him to a nearby grocery shop and plopped him on their glass table top and asked for a disposable Duracell.
I then realized that I had no money on me.

Beep beep beep.

By this time Aarav started figuring out that I may not be taking him to the park and he had started whining.
So just to pacify him or distract him for the moment I bought him borrowed biscuits and Cadbury Gems. That made him wait for a few seconds and consider that the biscuits may be for the park after all.

Beep Beep Beep Beep.

The grocery store owner finally considered my plea (and probably thought the batteries may be critically important after all especially since I was more focussed on getting the batteries then soothing my crying baby) and gave me the battery pack on loan.

Beep Beep Beep Beep.

Much to Aarav's dismay, instead of the freedom at the park I was now holding him down pulling out the Neptune. He was annoyed and had now started crying even louder...
I immediately switched off the Neptune and put in new batteries. I connected the magnet back and started the ling sounds expecting the green light to blink back at me.

Beep Beep Beep Beep.

What is wrong!!!!???
I dint even hear Aarav crying. the beeps by now were drilling into my head, muffling my reasoning.
I had to get home. I grabbed all my belongings. Promised the grocery store that I will return with the money soon.
Picked up Aarav and started running.

Beep Beep Beep Beep.

Did the Neptune stop working?
Did he fall?
Did Aarav hit his head??? I rubbed his head to check (which made him cry even more. He was still in the tantrum for not going to the park )
He seems ok. It does not look like he has hurt himself.

It already 6:20 pm!
What should I do!! The doctors will not be available now???

Kaustubh is not in Pune. My brother is not here. My brother in law is out for a meeting 30 km away!!
What a time for such a problem!!

I better get home and check Aarav before calling my parents and running to KEM.

Beep Beep Beep Beep Beep Beep.

I have to check with the connect!!
In spite of 3 big bags and Aarav throwing a full volume tantrum, I was running.
The 5 minute distance from my home to the daycare now seemed longer than ever!

I unlocked the door and placed Aarav on the floor, ripped his Neptune off and ran to the Neptune kit with him in tow.
Connected the Connect and headphones, reattached it to Aarav's head and waiting for the sounds to come...

Beep Beep Beep Beep.
Beep Beep Beep Beep.

AA.... EE.... OO.... MM... SS... SSH...

Beep Beep Beep Beep.
Beep Beep Beep Beep.
Beep Beep Beep Beep.
Beep Beep Beep Beep.

I was feeling lost and numb. I dint know what to do.
Aarav was still crying. I looked at him and then I understood.
This time it was not a tantrum. It was real. He had been really crying all along.
I had scared him.

He was without sound all this while so he dint hear me talk to him. He just saw my expressions. He was confused and did not understand what I was doing.

I always ask his permission or tell him when I remove the magnets.
He was already annoyed at the loss of sound. And instead of helping him feel better, I had repeatedly ignored him, rudely pulled his ears out more than once.

I had been incredibly impolite. I did not consider what he might have felt !!
I kept thinking about how to solve the problem; of what needs to be done, followed the checklist of priorities, organized the plan or action. Everything.
Everything except what Aarav had just gone through.

I was rude. Inconsiderate.

Guilty.

I left the Neptune and kit and all the mess as it was, and picked Aarav up and walked out.

I gave Aarav a bowl of his favorite fruit and put on his favorite cartoon on television.
He sat on my lap and watched the cartoons.

And I watched him.
The boy is strong. He is tolerant. And at just two years of age, he is amazingly understanding.
He understood that I was not being my usual self. He knew something was wrong. He let me check his head again.
One little hug was all it took for me to sooth him. And for him to calm me down.
My little warm sunshine.

I kept the cartoons on mute. Aarav was not hearing them anyway.
I got some quite time to think and I chalked out my plan of action.
Call the Parents first.
Then the Audiologist.
Pack a dinner for Aarav.
Then go to KEM.
Ok.
Making a list helped sort my emotions.
Always better to follow a set of steps than let emotions get over.

Time to start.

So I signed to Aarav that I'll be right back.

I went back to the Neptune and started putting the separated pieces together one by one checking them individually.
And then it hit me!!

Neptune comes with not one, but Two mikes!

I kept the aqua mike away and pulled out the non-waterproof regular mike, the chords for the new mike and connected them all.
Then I took the Neptune with the new mike to Aarav and asked him if I could put it on. He was waiting for the Neptune and said yes.

I attached the magnet and switched it on.

Beep. Beep.....................................

Aaa .. Flash of green light!!
And Aarav repeated " Aaa"

OO. MM. EE. SSSS. SSSH. ........ Blinks of the green light after every sound !!!!
And Aarav repeated them all after me.

Aarav was now hearing again!!!!
The Aquamic / Aquamic's chord had the problem. There was nothing else wrong!!

I cried out in joy!
I had never been this happy since the switch on!!!

Pure relief and Joy!

_________________________________________________


Seeing your deaf child asking for his hearing machine.

Hearing your deaf child repeat all the Ling sounds without any visual clues.

And then, watching the TV together with the volume on...

_________________________________________________
 

3 comments:

  1. Jui...I never knew about it. I must say Aarav is a brave child and above all you are a strong mother...Muat meet lil Aarav...Luv from Bhakti Maushi :)

    ReplyDelete



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...